Airtel is the latest entrant in the DTH space. Recently Reliance Communications’s Big TV made an entry. Few basic DTH numbers
- Every month about 300,000 DTH users are being added, compared to 9-10 million mobile users.
- Current (2008) subscriber base is 6 million, set to grow to 30+ million by 2012.
- Currently India has 80 million cable TV subscribers.
- DishTV has around 225 channels and services with registered 3.76 million subscribers. DishTV has a distribution network of about 600 distributors and 45,000 dealers that spans nearly 5,200 towns across the country.
- All DTH operators are bleeding. They are getting innovative by offering content from banks (about their services), matrimonial portals. It is too early to say whether this kind of content will be consumed. We should give time for this kind of advertising to mature of DTH. Hopefully it will succeed.