According to the recent article “Smartphone Ads and Their Drawbacks” the small size screens and non-availability of tracking tools has not made mobile advertising as attractive as its cousin desktop advertising.
- Advertisers are willing to pay much more to reach a thousand pairs of eyes gazing upon a computer or tablet than a thousand pairs looking at a smartphone screen
- Size absolutely does matter. Hmm..even on a mobile? Anyways, getting back to the topic, the real estate available on a mobile screen is depressing for advertising.
- CPM rates: $3-5 for desktop, $0.75 for mobile.
- Users use mobile phones in short spans of time, so the amount of time they devote to notice and act on a banner is far less than a desktop.
- However, location-based mobile advertising, known as geofencing looks promising.
- According to an article on IndianTelevision.com, in India for the year 2011 the mobile advertising market was sized at Rs 250-300 million (Rs 25-30 crore).