According to The top 20 countries on the Internet,
- There are a total of 1.8 billion Internet users in the world.
- There are 32 countries with more than 10 million Internet users.
- The top 10 countries on the Internet together have 1.17 billion Internet users. That’s 65% of all Internet users in the world.
- The top 20 countries on the Internet together have 1.47 billion Internet users. That’s just under 82% of all Internet users.
- India is the fourth largest country in terms of Internet users in spite of having an Internet penetration of a measly 6.9%.
- China takes the top spot both in terms of population and Internet users. China has almost twice (1.8x) as many Internet users as the United States.
- China together with the United States, the top two countries, make up half of the Internet users in the top 15.
- Out of the top 20 countries, the five with the highest Internet penetration (not users) are: United Kingdom (82.5%), South Korea (81.1%), Germany (79.1%), Japan (78.2%), United States (76.3%).
Ranking of countries in terms of Internet users,
- China – 420m
- United States – 234.4m
- Japan – 99m
- India – 81m
- Brazil – 72m
You can get lot of useful statistics from Internet World Stats.
Internet entrepreneurs in India constantly complain we don’t have sufficient user base. My argument is, let us first monetize from the existing internet user base, the growth of this base will happen on its own. Especially with wireless broadband becoming a reality in India, user base will surge.