According to WSJ, the German state-owned postal service Deutsche Post AG has acquired nugg.ad AG, Europe’s largest targeted online ad platform. Deutsche Post delivers about 70 million letters a day will start selling online advertising. I had never imagined a postal service could move into online ad space, clearly shows there should be no limits when ideating.
Does anyone know how many letters the Indian Postal service delivers every day? Read further for the data related to our dependable Indian Postal Service.
Do you think our Indian Postal service would ever venture into selling online ads? Which ad platform could they ever think of acquiring?
Interesting Facts About Indian Postal Service
Majority of corporates use courier services because of the convenience. However, our post offices in India are used a lot by the residents of semi-urban and rural areas.
- Founded on April 1, 1854
- India has the largest Postal Network in the world with over 154,882 Post Offices (as on March 31, 2014) of which 139,182 (89.86%) are in the rural areas.
- At the time of independence, there were 23,344 Post Offices, which were primarily in urban areas.
- Thus, the network has registered a seven-fold growth since Independence, with the focus of this expansion primarily in rural areas.
- On average, a Post Office in India serves an area of 21.22 Sq. Km and a population of 8,221 people.
- Number of letterboxes: 570,000
- The Department of Posts handled 177.9 million registered letters, 6,157.6 million unregistered mail traffic and 281 million Premium Products (speed post and express parcel post) during the year 2010-2011.
- Ecommerce in India has been a lifesaver for the postal service as they are the only ones who can deliver to every address in Tier-2 and Tier-3 regions of India.