Socialbakers reports Facebook userbase is crossing a whopping 700 million across the world. For the month of May, the top 6 countries which contributed to the growth of Facebook were,
- Brazil – Users: 19 million, Growth: 1.9 million
- Indonesia – Users: 37.8 m, Growth: 1.5 m
- Philippines – Users: 24.5 m, Growth: 1.33 m
- Mexico – Users: 24.77 m, Growth: 1.12 m
- Argentina – Users: 15.11 m, Growth: 1.06 m
- India – Users: 25.8 m, Growth: 0.9 m
In terms of absolute numbers, India ranks 5th in the world after US, Indonesia, UK, Turkey.
India needs to worry with the growth of internet base in Indonesia. Many VCs had told me that they prefer to invest in Indonesia instead of India.
The detailed statistics of Facebook users in India can be read here, very well compiled. Key numbers are, Facebook has a penetration of 2.27% based on our population and penetration of 32.87% based on India’s online population (which translates to 78.49 million internet users in India)