It looks like all research for internet usage in India will be covering the mobile heavily and just as a courtesy desktop PC will be included. Just yesterday I received the report “Mobile Internet in India – December 2012” from IAMAI. There are 3 types of Mobile internet users in the report,
- Off Deck Users – accessing sites other than sites of the operator
- On Deck Users – accessing only sites specified by the operator
- Dongle Users – connected to Internet using 2G, 3G or high-speed data cards.
Other interesting highlights from the report,
- Average price of mobile device among user who access Internet using mobile devices is Rs. 8,250.
- Accessing internet on mobile phones that cost below Rs 6,500 is not very convenient.
- Users spend an average of Rs 198 per month on mobile internet usage which accounts to 40% of the total mobile bill (Rs 460)
- 87.1 million mobile internet users accessed Internet on their devices every month (Dec 2012)
- Email and social networking are the popular apps on an internet ready mobile phone in India.
- While online games are accessed by nearly 50% of the Mobile Internet users, less than 30% of users read online news and watch online videos.
35 cities participated in this survey,
- Top 4 Metros: Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai & Kolkata
- Other 4 Metros: Bangalore, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad & Pune
- Small Metro (More than 1 Million): Coimbatore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Visakhapatnam, Patna, Guwahati, Kochi, Vadodara, Indore, Surat, Nagpur
- Non Metro (Between 0.5 to 1 Million): Aurangabad, Belgaum, Aligarh, Bhubaneswar, Raipur Small Town (Less than 0.5 Million Pop.) Alappuzha (Alleppey), Ujjain, Sambalpur, Faizabad, Panipat, Kolaghat, Baleshwar, Philbit, Amreli, Chickmagalur
Mobile Internet User Base Projection in India
- Off Deck User Report card: 61 million (Oct 2012), 68 million (Dec 2012)
- Off Deck User Projection: 75 million (March 2013), 109 million (March 2014), 140 million (March 2015)
Facebook can be the main factor for users signing up with mobile internet. After all they want to read the updates from friends (had breakfast, I am bored, hungry type updates!)
Would be interesting to see how many of the new mobile internet users will be from the language base. That would be of great interest for us at Oneindia.
Global Sales of PC And Smartphones
These two slides from Businesss Insider give a good picture on PC, tablet and smartphone sales till 2016. If you are in PC industry, time to upgrade yourself to a small device industry. Else you will be history.
Leave a Reply