A well written article by Marc Andreessen (co-founder of Netscape) on startups. Few points from the article,
- Most importantly, realize that a startup puts you on an emotional rollercoaster unlike anything you have ever experienced.
- In a startup, absolutely nothing happens unless you make it happen.
- Hiring is a huge pain in the ass.
- God help you, at some point you’re going to have to hire executives.
- The hours.
- There are lots of X factors that can come along and whup you right upside the head, and there’s absolutely nothing you can do about them……More
I strongly believe one shouldn’t do a startup if they don’t have the passion for the product they are working on. Doing a startup for “valuations” will never work. We should just concentrate on building a good product and everything else will follow on its own (fame, money and most importantly ‘satisfaction’).