Google has been focusing on Indian languages for the past few years to increase the usage of its products in India. English uses have saturated in India
Few basic stats of the internet space in India,
- 320 million internet user base (~25% internet penetration)
- Demography: 16- 25 years (37%), 26-35 years (38%), 36-45 (16%), Others (9%, which includes me!)
- Urban internet base 62%, rural internet base 38%
- Total mobile internet is over 250 million – 121 million 3G mobile users, 2G still bigger than 3G in India.
- Urban mobile internet users 75%, rural at 25%. Growing at 55% year-on-year.
- Smartphone penetration in India: 10% against the global penetration at 25%.
- 88% of India’s population is non-English speaking.
- Local language internet user base 127 million, growing 47% year-on-year.
Google India has taken the initiative of working with various stake holders of the internet eco system in India to grow Indian Languages on the internet. Through this effort, India is expected to from the internet user base from the current 250 million to 500 million by 2017, a majority of whom will be from mobile internet users.
Every year IAMAI does a great job in releasing a report on Local Language (Indic) usage in India. Few highlights from “Local Language Report 2013” are listed below, Read more on 43% of the non-users of the Internet in India are willing to go online if content is provided in local language…
The first ever Indic Android Hackathon was held in Bangalore on Feb 21, 2014 to discuss Indic on Android.