The broadband figures are of great interest to the internet publishers community in India. We at Oneindia, study it to get a feel of how the internet is reaching the masses because we are in the Indian language space.
Medianama publishes very detailed reports on a regular basis and they do a real great job at it.
- Broadband users in India: Oct 2008 5 million, Nov 2010 11 million
- Rural broadband users: Nov 2010 750,000
- Leading states: Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Delhi
- The penetration in North Eastern region of India is still bad. Need to keep reminding the govt that the NE states are part of India.
- Recently Google India mentioned India has 100m internet users & 40m mobile internet users.
To get the Nov 2010 figures in March 2011 is very late. It would be useful to get the numbers on the lines of comscore – every 4 weeks the numbers must be updated and released. Also, we would like to get the broadband numbers city wise. State wise is a start but let us get deeper.
From our own traffic analysis we do get a sense of how internet is reaching the new Tier-2 cities but we cannot fully depend on analytics because the IPs are not always correctly mapped to a city (check your IP mapping on ip2location). IPs from many small towns in Tamil Nadu show the IPs are mapped to New Delhi – doesn’t help and it takes us on the wrong route (we start assuming many Delhiities are reading Tamil content)
If you browse the internet on your Blackberry the IP is usually mapped to UK. This doesn’t help us in targeting campaigns on Oneindia.mobi.
Service apartments in Goa says
That’s encouraging news for people like us in the hospitality industry. There is a huge scope for online booking.