According to the recent report by Internet & Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) & Boston Consulting Group (BCG),
- India’s Internet economy will grow to almost Rs.10 trillion by 2018.
- Internet economy includes e-commerce services and products, advertising, online content, devices, connectivity, as well as private infrastructure and government spend in these areas.
- India’s Internet economy, which was about Rs.3.6 trillion in 2013, contributed 3.2% to the GDP.
- About half the population in India, or 580 million Indians, will be online by 2018. In December 2014 India had 300 million internet users.
- 60% of all Internet users were under 25 in 2013, by 2018, 54% of the Internet user base will be over 25 years of age.
- By 2018, 40-50% of net users in India will be from rural areas.
- In 2013, for every 3 men there was 1 woman using the internet in India. By 2018, for every 1.9 men we will see a woman internet user in India.
- E-commerce companies’ revenues were in excess of Rs.25,000 crore at the end of 2014.
- E-commerce industry in India is projected to grow to $75 billion by 2018 from $17 billion in 2013.
- Growth of Indian languages & mobile apps will be key to the growth of internet usage in India.
- Venture funding is on the rise in the internet industry – 800 Internet start-ups got funding in 2014 as compared to 200 in 2012.
Leave a Reply