All news channels in India yesterday were clogged with Satya Nadella’s appointment as Microsoft’s CEO. The impression few TV anchors give you – they have known Hyderabad born Satya Nadella since his childhood.
Very few had heard of Satya Nadella before. He’s currently responsible for a huge, largely invisible part of Microsoft’s business.
Yesterday night I switched off the TV the moment I heard his name dragged into Andhra Pradesh state bifurcation (Telangana) – I did not even attempt to be curious on why somebody who is thousands of miles away from Hyderabad is being dragged into this issue.
Free advise on what he should do in Microsoft is flowing everywhere. Doubt he will pay attention to any of those articles (including this one!).
It is definitely encouraging to see someone not from the IIT, IIM background to have reached that position. Don’t get me wrong – I work on a daily basis with folks with IIT background – I am very happy working with them (assuming they feel the same about me even though I don’t have that background!).
Few interesting articles,
- Photos: Satya Nadella’s father celebrates son’s appointment at Hyderabad Public School
- Inside the Microsoft CEO Search: How Satya Nadella Was Chosen
- Satya Nadella: Is Microsoft’s new CEO too much of an insider?
- Believe in the impossible writes Satya Nadella to employees.
- Satya Nadella is buying all the beers for the next few years [his pay package]
- Satya Nadella’s selection as Microsoft CEO isn’t great for Indians
- Why Microsoft’s new CEO might be the right pick
- 10 things about Satya Nadella
- Why Satya Nadella could be just right for rebooting Microsoft
The Indian Angle
- Why Microsoft and Everyone Else Loves Indian CEOs
- Indian Americans will rule Silicon Valley; they help each other regardless of caste & religion: Vivek Wadhwa
- Not IITs, Satya Nadella’s rise proves you just need to dream big
- In India because of his background Satya would have never reached those heights
- Nadella’s rise reflection of how good Indian students are: Finance Minister P Chidambaram
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella Marks Another Victory for Indian Americans
- Satya Nadella Is Known Internally as the Guy Who Cuts Middle Management
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella asked to bring cloud hosting to India
- Satya Nadella: 6 Must-Do’s For Microsoft’s New CEO
Challenges For Satya Nadella
- Six challenges for Microsoft as the Satya Nadella era begins
- The top 5 challenges facing Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
- Challenges for Satya Nadella – independent.co.uk
Would be interesting to see what these same journalists will write about him after 2014 Q1 results.
Will Bing Get His Attention?
My friends in the US say Bing is reasonably popular there, but in India I think it is zilch, almost unknown. Bing has huge problems, it just doesn’t crawl Oneindia.in fast enough. Not sure how many people I have interacted with about the “crawl” issue. Yes, their webmaster tools seems to be improving a lot but the product has a long way to go when compared to God (I mean Google).
If media reports are to be believed cloud computing is top of his list.
Microsoft’s first promotional video featuring Nadella is hosted on Google’s Youtube,