Some encouraging numbers of PC sales in India (ET) for Oct-Dec 2009 quarter,
- 25.7% yearly growth in PC sales (compared to Oct-Dec 2008)
- HP (16.2%) leads the race, followed by Dell (13.6%) and Acer (10.4%)
- Desktop market share: HP, HCL, Acer
- Notebook market share: Dell, HP
- Of the total 1.97m units sold, desktop account for 1.27m & notebook accounted for 0.69m units.
- The market saw the peak in July-Sep 2008 (2.26 million units), dip in Oct-Dec 2008 (1.56 m units)
- Home PC shipments saw an impressive 38% growth in year-on-year (Oct-Dec 2009 Vs Oct-Dec 2008)
- Overall sales of PCs for 2008-09 was 6.82m, for 2009-10 it is expected to be 7.3m (a 7% increase)
We should compare this with how the internet user base has grown for the same period.
- In India 256k is considered broadband, the Netherlands is about to get 1 Gbps broadband connection! (jealous!)
- Total broadband connections: 1.3m (March ’06), 3.9m (March ’08), 5.65m (Jan ’09), 7.83m (Dec ’09), 8.03m (Jan ’10), 8.1m (March’ 10)
- The ratio of business & home broadband connections is almost 50:50.
- 2008: In India, under 4% of broadband users have 2MB