75 percent of internet users in India under the age of 35

India has the third largest online population in the world after China and the U.S. But we still have a long way to go, by now India should have had over 250 million internet users. Comscore counts surfers from home and work only. They don’t recognize users from cyber cafes and mobile devices (in India). Highlights from Comscore’s “2013 India Digital Future in Focus” report,

  • At 73.9 million home and work internet users, the Indian online population currently ranks as the 3rd largest in the world after China (348 million) and the U.S.
  • India’s internet audience grew by 17.6 million since March 2012, a year-on-year increase of 31%.
  • With 75 percent of its internet users under the age of 35, India has the youngest skewing online population among BRIC countries.
  • Women take off where men stop? Men 25-34 year olds are heaviest internet users, Women between the ages of 35-44 are the heaviest internet users in the Indian market.
  • The Indian blogging audience grew 48 percent in the past year to 36 million visitors, while 26 percent of category traffic comes from mobile phones and tablets.
  • 54 million internet users in India watched online videos on their computer, representing a 27-percent increase over the past year.
  • Non-PC traffic growth starting to accelerate in 2013. Mobile and Tablet shares grow to 14.2%
  • 86% Indian Web Users Visit a Social Networking Site (productive uh?)
  • 74% of Internet Users in India Visited an Entertainment Site
  • The time spent per visitor on railway sites in the travel category is very high (25 minutes). Cleartrip is at 6.4 minutes. Does it mean the railway ecom product is bad? May be.
  • Indian blogging audience grew 48%, close to 36 million. 26% blog traffic from Mobile and Tablets.
  • Google is the most popular search engine in India, it has 90% market share. Wonder where the other 10% are searching and are they getting any results;-)?

Glad to see Oneindia.in has been included in the News category of this report. By next year we would like to see Oneindia in many more categories.

Markonahalli Dam near Yediyur in Karnataka

Markonahalli Dam near Yediyur, Karnataka. Oneindia Kannada asks “When will these 2 go online?”

Unfortunately, companies like Comscore are yet to recognize the “presence” and “strong growth” of Indian languages on the internet. The day is not too far, they will have to recognize that vertical. After all, India is a land of many flavours.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.