The Indian mobile user base is growing at a very impressive rate.
- All latest Handsets “manufactured for” India have atleast 2 local languages enabled
- Number of wireless subscribers has reached 217.14 million (Oct 2007)
- Number of wireless subscribers being added every month is around 8 million
- Opportunities in the Tier II cities are huge
- Mobile VAS services estimated to touch USD 926 mn at the end of 2007 (SMS, Ringtones/CRBT, Voice VAS will continue to be the highest revenue generating services – TRAI)
- India’s literacy rate has been increasing – from 52.3 per cent (1991 Census) to over 65.4 per cent (2001) – an addition of 182 million literate Indian citizens.
- By the end of 2010, the mobile tele density is estimated to be almost 44% with 497 mn subscribers
- Operators such as Airtel are planning to expand coverage in Tier II towns, the trend of new subscribers additions will continue
This week Oneindia.in launched SMS alerts [we no longer offer this service] in Indian languages – Hindi, Kannada, Tamil, Telugu & Malayalam. The service is available for residents of India only. To begin with SMS alerts are being sent in two categories News and Movies. For Tamil we have included a very popular category “Kural”.
Do try it out and would love to hear back from you folks.