0 Flares 0 Flares ×
My thirteenth column in “Vijaya Next” (Kannada) was about writing in Kannada Wikipedia. Main points were,
- Brief introduction to Wikipedia
- Wikipedia was formally launched on Jan 15, 2001 by Jimmy Wales & Larry Sanger (he quit in 2002). Jimmy Wales has actively promoted Wikipedia over the years.
- A mere 60 employees are employed by Wikipedia
- The site runs only on donations, no ads allowed
- Wrote about my visit to my first Bangalore Wikipedia meet (there are some interesting points in my post)
- English is the most popular language on Wikipedia (over 3.5 million articles)
- Hindi, Telugu, Tamil are having reasonable amount of content. Kannada has just 10,000 articles because the number of volunteers are very few.
- If we want to see the quantity & quality of Indian language content increasing on Wikipedia then we have to participate in this awesome project.
- Aren’t there enough Kannidigas who can contribute one article a week to strengthen namma Wikipedia?
- For a change let us stop complaining and start being part of the solution. Please contact me if you are interested in contributing to the growth of ‘namma Kannada’ on Wikipedia.