Internet advertising in the US has always been an envy for folks in India. Online advertising in the US clocked an average of $2.83 billion a month for Jan-June 2012! Few highlights from a study by PricewaterhouseCoopers,
- Internet advertising reached $17 billion in the first half of the year, but the rate of growth declined from 23 percent between 2010 to 2011 to 14 percent between 2011 and 2012
- The economy was slow in 2010 which makes the growth in 2011 look strong.
- As your base gets bigger, your dollar growth can be higher but as a percentage it looks smaller.
- Mobile continues to be a big gainer, with spending nearly doubling from $636 million in the first half of 2011 to $1.2 billion in the same period this year.
- Spending by pharma and healthcare was up 81 percent to $1.1 billion in 2012 and automotive climbed 29 percent.
- AdWords accounted for is still in the lead, accounting for 48% of all online ad sales.
- Movie dollars are going online – the increase in the entertainment category, which includes advertising for film, music and video games.
- The advertising industry has proved quietly resilient despite ongoing economic hurdles worldwide. advertising will rise from $538.75 billion in 2012 to $676.17 billion in 2016
- China is set to become the world’s second-largest advertising market in 2013, and the second-largest digital advertising market the following year, behind the US.
Where does Online Advertising stand in India?
- Online advertising in India is currently at about $ 410 mn and is about 7 % of the total advertising spend. It is expected to reach $ 1.5 bn by 2015.
- Mobile advertising was at $ 56.5 mn in 2011 and is forecast to reach $ 247 mn by 2015.
- Digital Advertising is expected to reach Rs 4,391 crore by March 2013 and Rs 3,535 crore by the end of 2012 calendar year.
- Currently India has about 140 million internet users, expected to grow to 220 million by 2015.
- Broadband connections: 15 million (August 2012), 175 million by 2015 and 600 million by 2020.
- Average internet speed in India 1 Mbps & in South Korea it stood at 14.2 Mbps! Global average stands at 3 Mbps.
- India needs an Internet Minister in the cabinet. Basic qualification – he/she needs to be using the internet!
- Internet advertising still a growth business, but pace slows
- Asia-Pacific Poised to Dominate World Ad Market
- Digital Ad Report Finds Big Growth in Mobile
- Future of news in India: Print down, digital up