According to ad-buying agency Magna Global Ad-spending growth will see a slowdown in 2017. Few highlights from their report,
- The global ad business will see a slowdown to 3.6% spending growth in 2017
- The global ad business growth was projected growth for 2016 was 5.7%
- U.S. ad sales will see 1.7% growth in 2017, compared to 6.9% growth in 2016
- U.S. ad spending would grow 3% to $183.9 billion next year according to GroupM
- The year 2017 will see fewer advertising opportunities at big events like the election and Olympics
- Digital ad spend growth globally will be very strong and it will surpass TV spending
- By 2021, 72% of total digital budgets will be for mobile advertising ($215 billion)
- Desktop ad sales will shrink in 2017
In India digital ad spends alone will be worth $1.5 billion by 2020, reasonably sure mobile advertising will get the big chunk of this pie.
Mobile advertising has its own challenges. While the time spent on the mobile device is increasing, the majority of the time is for messaging, entertainment, videos. Time spent using the mobile browser is higher than native apps in countries like India.